Read through the biblical passages most often cited in discussions of homosexuality:
- Creation (Genesis 1-2)
and Sodom (Genesis 18-19) Gomorrah
- Holiness Code (Leviticus 18 and 20)
- Sin of Onan (Genesis 38:1-10)
- Jesus on Divorce (Matthew 19:1-12)
- Against Nature (Romans 1-2)
- Excluded from the Kingdom (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
- Before reading the passages above for this class, how familiar were you with them? How often have you heard them cited? And what did you notice different about them upon your reading this time that you might not have noticed before?
- In general, what biblical passages do you have trouble applying to your own life for whatever reason?
- In general, what biblical passages do you have trouble reading because they seem completely at odds with what you consider a modern understanding of science, philosophy, psychology and culture?
- What is/are the purpose(s) of marriage? Where does “procreation” rank on that list?
- How have you and your family members reacted to news that someone close to you has come out as gay or lesbian?
- How much autonomy should a local congregation have when it comes to setting standards for ordinance and marriage? How comfortable would you belonging to a congregation or a denomination whose stances on these issues differed from your own?