I encourage everyone to catch up on past readings (see below). There is plenty of discussion topics already on the table. It would be good to discuss some of them in more specificity. (I also suggest that we reread the specific biblical passages
again and see if we have more to say about them in Week 7 than we did in Week 2.)
You also can read and respond to my reflections on the Oct. 18 wedding of Michelle Norman and Michelle Wikner. (As well as the notes on our class discussion on Oct. 19.)
Finally, I’ve spoken with some of the leaders over at First Presbyterian, and I’m writing up an account of how they decided to allow Michelle Norman and Michelle Wikner to use their building for their wedding on Oct. 18. I have to double check the accuracy of the account, but I’ll try to get it posted in time to read for this Sunday.
Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Reading list so far:
- “Guidelines for People of Faith During Times of Disagreement”
- Dawn Mikkelson, “Seeking a God who loves us for who we are”
- Jim Tony, “Is There a Legitimate Way Around the ‘Fidelity-Chastity’ Requirement?”
- N.T. Wright, “Communion and Koinonia: Pauline Reflections on Tolerance and Boundaries”
- Alan Wisdom, “The Myth of Inevitability”
- The legal brief prepared for the Session (May 29)
- Update on the legal brief prepared for the Session (Sept. 29)
- Kenneth Bailey, "The New Testament and Homosexual Practice."
- Robert Gagnon, "Scriptural Perspectives on Homosexuality and Sexual Identity."
- “The First of Institutions,” by Gilbert Meilaender.
- Moderate-Conservative Study Guide for "For the Bible Tells Me So"
- Full Study Guide for "For the Bible Tells Me So"
- Letter from Ann Reppun